New Sites

Hey readers of my blog,

I have been working on two other sites so I won't be updating this site for a while now; you can continue reading from my blogs at:

1. Dreams of Your Heart

2.Leadership With You

Monday, September 22, 2008

Leadership Icebreakers

I recently attended a leadership workshop and these are some of the leadership icebreaker games that the trainer played.
Leadership Icebreakers #1:
Communication in Leadership

Needs: A group of people and a ring of rope.

#1: Everyone, with their 2 hands, holds a section of the ring of rope standing up.

#2: The instructor gives an instructions to form the rope into a particular shape, say a circle.

#3: The group attempts to coordinate their movements and then lay the rope down on the floor with the spoken shape.

#4: They are asked by the instructor if the shape is to their satisfaction. The instructor then asks for feedback from the group about their experience in performing the exercise.

#5: Repeat steps #1-#4 with a more complex shape( a dog, flower or what not), but this time round without speaking and only using hand gestures.

#6: Repeat steps #1-#4, this time round without even hand gestures.

This exercise can be used to illustrate the importance of communication in leadership. Sometimes as leaders we don't know the importance of communication our goals and objectives to our members. As such, we get people who give vague results. But you see, you can't blame them. Vague instructions begets vague results.

I've had this experience with Uni-Y, where I didn't know the importance of constant communication of the goals of the organization. I thought once was enough and if I said it too many times, people might find me a irritating. But the converse was true. Upon feedback, my leaders told me that I needed to let them know about where we're heading because everyone was lost about what's happening and all.

Thank God for feedback. Ever since, I've made weekly communication of activities and now I have to go to the next level: making shared decisions as a team regularly.

Communication is the key to life. It's the key to getting any organization moving.

As a leader, you just gotta learn to be sure and exactly sure about what you want. If you're not sure about what exactly you're trying to achieve and that un-sureness gets communicationed to the members, you're not going to get anything right done.

No comments: