New Sites

Hey readers of my blog,

I have been working on two other sites so I won't be updating this site for a while now; you can continue reading from my blogs at:

1. Dreams of Your Heart

2.Leadership With You

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Of not-so-nice grades and internships

I got back two of my grades last night: Ethics, which I got an A- and SME consulting which was a B+. Honestly, I was a little disappointed at the SME consulting grade.

I did alot of work for the project and all the liaising with my client. But the grading system is such that the project group gets a common grade and then the test is the determining factor. Maybe I didn't do so well for the test.

I had expected an A- at least for it, but well.

Then I ask, why is it that you're disappointed? Does it matter really whether its a B+ or A-? The most important thing is that you've enjoyed the course and learnt about consulting.

You don't intend to work anyway so like your grades don't really matter actually. Then why so sian?
Maybe it's cos that B+ represents what the world thinks of your ability. " I think you're a B+ in your consulting skills." That statement seems to be in that innocent looking B+ on my SMUVista.

Oh well. I'm stronger than that. A grading system will not determine my ability or where I'm going in the future. I'll just forget it ever happened.

------

Working life is not easy.

Not because the work is tough, but I guess for me, because the work will turn out to be routine after a while. The department I work in is Business Advisory Services, which is kinda like consulting, and mostly HR consulting. So the jobs of the associates is to consult, recommend, conduct workshops, churn out reports and do up powerpoint slides. Pretty much sounds like what I've been doing for my UOB-SMU Project and SME consulting Project.

I'm thinking: Yeah, everything's cool and all, I'm happy here, the colleagues are great. They're all young people only slightly older than me so there is no generational gap. It's my 3rd day and I've having fun exploring the place, getting into the 'culture' of things. And yes, each day was significant because it was meeting new people, and going new eating places (lol).

But what after 1 year? I was thinking. Would I remember my 42th day at work as much as my 3rd day?

I don't know man. Maybe I haven't got into the flow of work, so nothing's really challenging me yet.

But would I give 7 am - 7 pm (including travel time), of everyday to a job like that? I imagine that same desk everyday, same things to eat everyday.

And the thing about it is that, i feel it dulls our senses. It de-sensitizes our hearts. And it's not noticeable because it happens bit by bit, bit by bit.

What do you want?

That's a good question to ask yourself, if you want to know if your heart is still in there. Ha...

Oh well, for the first 3 days I've just been asking the colleagues how the department functions and all. I think it's a good model to use for a business. =)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey~!

wanted to ask you about your internship when i talked to you :)
but I forgot!

anywayz, am cool that you're having good time eating around and nice colleagues.

i get what you meant..

try thinking just "oNe" day ahead!
and see if it makes any difference ;)
hehe... it worked very well for me..

& sometimes it's just that one other route u took, one other day to roam that sends u glee~ :D

take care~