New Sites

Hey readers of my blog,

I have been working on two other sites so I won't be updating this site for a while now; you can continue reading from my blogs at:

1. Dreams of Your Heart

2.Leadership With You

Saturday, June 14, 2008

The 'mind' inside the mind

You know, sometimes I wish I could blog at an environment where there wasn't so much noise, but the basement which I have an internet in has, the TV on (with my brothers watching it) and my brothers' World of Warcraft on with all that noise. Plus all that flashing lights all over the place.

How to write from the heart. Haha.

For 2-3 weeks my Saturdays have been spent as a Sabbath. A time to reflect, to rest and to read. It's amazing how much God can speak to us when our hearts are still, when we're not thinking about the next thing we have to do or be done by Sunday.

I'll read in the garden, and occasionally put down my book to observe the stillness of the night. Sometimes looking up into the star lit night sky, relating to God. I would go for chapter after chapter.

I had an interesting revelation from a book I read yesterday, but more on it another day: Who we are being defined by what we do, especially this generation that almost worships efficiency and productivity often being labelled religiously as 'fruitfulness'.

But let it be for another day.

I just read something interesting which brought me back to 9 years old which I thought was good to share.

This is not to say the heart is only swirling emotion, mixed motives, and dark desire, without thought or reason. Far from it. According to Scripture, the heart is also where we do our deepest thinking. "Jesus, knowing what they were thinking in their hearts." is a common phrase in the Gospels. This might be most surprising to those who have accepted the Great Modern Mistake that "the mind equals reason and the heart equals emotion." Most people believe that. ...Solomon is remembered as the wisest man ever, and it was not because of the size of his brain. Rather, when God invited him to ask for anything in all the world, Solomon asked for wise and discerning heart. - Waking the Dead, John Eldredge

I remember at 9 years old, I was pondering this thought for a while ( yeah, the thinking alot went a long way back. Haha). I was thinking,' Wait, there's this voice in my head, that's speaking very loudly.' but.... ' there's another voice, this one softer.. what is it? Maybe it's the mind inside the mind.'

So that was what I settled for at 9 years old. The mind inside the mind.

The still small voice behind the voice of the mind.

If I could go back and tell the 9 year old me...

"It's just your heart."

Well, nothing revelational, but something that just popped up in my mind when I was reading.

Alright, now back to more time in the stillness of the night, away from the flashing colourful, noise-filled basement with its TV and World of Warcrafied laptops.

=)

No comments: