New Sites

Hey readers of my blog,

I have been working on two other sites so I won't be updating this site for a while now; you can continue reading from my blogs at:

1. Dreams of Your Heart

2.Leadership With You

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Memories of time past

It's like 4 am in the morning and I got attacked my mosquitoes on my bed, so I laid on my bed fighting the itches and trying to get back to sleep. Church at 730 am ( I have to leave house then) tmr! But as I tried to get back to sleep, all these memories started coming back..

Specifically of my time in OCS.

Suddenly I was thinking about my time in my bunk in OCS. In service term 1. It was a sad time then. I felt like someone who had their freedom given to them and then taken away again. Context: I was in OCS Tri-Service which lasted 1 month before I went to Paya Lebar Air Base for Pilot Selection for 2 months. During that time I had more freedom; could come out more often and stay out, and Australia was really a blast. Haha. Then suddenly I was back in the OCS bunk again.

Can imagine how depressing it can be. But I rem it was a very aimless time for me. I didn't know God then. I didn't know what I was there for. Sure I had that potential to do it; I knew I had, but I didn't see the point. All I wanted was freedom.

And then I had my back injury, which caused me to had to do regular visits to the physiotherapist.

*Flash forward a few months*

I'm doing guard duty now, but it's not the regular guard duty. I was supposed to stand at the edge of a training area to make sure no one got in. Supposed to stay from morning till late at night. Alone.

There was going to be no one within 1 km of me. Only trees and mosquitoes and what not.

It was still okay in the day, spent it fighting mosquitoes, but when night fell..

All I saw was a gravel road and forest all in front of me. Hp batt was running low. Needed company.

There was a shed by the side of the gate for me to site down, but it was small. Only enough to fit a chair and a little more. But I didn't want to sit inside. It would obstruct my vision.

So I sat in the middle of the gravel road, with the gate just behind me. Forest. Darkness.

I'm glad I didn't allow fear to get to me that night. And well, glad I didn't see anything. Ha..

I was raped by mosquitoes though. Had like at least 40 bites on my back by them. They could go through the uniform. Super mosquitoes.

Well, I was so glad when I saw the Rover come and pick me up for the night, at about 11pm like that. Home at last. Or camp. Haha.

*Flash*
I sit in the office with Amin, the admin clerk and LTA Spencer. I remember the Staff Sgt's face as well. Not a very nice guy. But LTA Spencer and Amin were really nice people and they were my company after I out of coursed from OCS.

They're not really very kind to people who genuinely had problems because alot of times there are people who 'chao keng'. I remember my PC wasn't very happy with me. He thinks I'm not pushing myself hard enough.

But it's a back problem, and even the physio told me not to carry weights. I think the physio got a littled peeved when he heard my PC still asked me to do stuff. Ha..

But anyway I Out of Coursed eventually and spent the remaining of my OCS days before I left for a unit with the Echo HQ people, Amin, LTA Spencer and Major Lam. Major Lam was another really nice uncle. Haha.

Anyway I only keep in contact with LTA Spencer now, once a year. On our birthdays..

Oh then LTA Adrian who's one of the company's officers: Think he just graduated from SMU last sem, or maybe going to this sem. See him once in a while but he doesn't recognize me..

*fast forward*
So I'm on a van now. Travelling to my new unit from OCS.

And I end up in Keat Hong Camp as a signaller. Really run down, and all the things were falling apart. It was a new to me. It was about 10 months in schools where all the training took place, now I was in an operational unit...

which the men practically did nothing but eat and sleep! Ha..

Anyway that's another story for another day.

But to think back on those days. I was just ... there. No aim. Just there. Lived day by day. All I was looking for was the time I could go back, and spend time outside in civilization.

But thank God for a purpose now. For zoe life, a life beyond the natural. A life filled with visions and dreams and hope for the future. Because God answers the question of where we come from, we also know where we're headed, our destiny.

No comments: